IN CELEBRATION OF SUNSHINE WEEK & NATIONAL FOI DAY,
THE FIRST AMENDMENT FOUNDATION AND THE POYNTER INSTITUTE
LAUNCH THE SUNSHINE CERTIFICATE
ST. PETERSBURG, Fla. (March 16, 2016) – To commemorate Sunshine Week and today’s celebration of National Freedom of Information Day, the First Amendment Foundation and The Poynter Institute have launched a new online “Sunshine Certificate” to help educate elected officials, attorneys, journalists and citizens on open government laws. [Continue reading the Press Release here.]
Open government is a longstanding tradition in Florida, whose Sunshine Laws are among the strongest in the United States. The First Amendment Foundation believes that government openness and transparency are critical elements of democratic government and to fostering citizens’ trust and involvement in governance.
The Poynter Institute and the First Amendment Foundation are excited to offer you an invitation to our brand new Sunshine Certificate programs! The 2016 Sunshine Certificate combines the best of the Foundation’s training with the flexibility of online learning. The Certificates are available for:
- Florida Public Officers & Staff
- Florida Attorneys for 14.5 CLEs, including 5 ethics
- Journalists and Citizens, offered in 3 different courses: ethics, open meetings, and public records, OR take all 3 for only $75!
Why wait? Get your certificate now! The Sunshine Certificate lets you work through the course on your own schedule. Attorneys and Public Officials: when you’re ready, take the assessment to receive your Sunshine Certificate. Your enrollment in the program allows you unlimited access to the courses and assessments required to earn your certificate.
Who will benefit: The Sunshine Certificate is designed to meet the open government training requirement under Section 112.3142, F.S. for constitutional officers and elected municipal officers. The Public Officials training is available for every constitutional officer, including the governor, the lieutenant governor, the attorney general, the chief financial officer and the commissioner of agriculture, as well as all state attorneys, public defenders, sheriffs, tax collectors, property appraisers, supervisors of elections, clerks of the circuit court, county commissioners, district school board members and superintendents of schools in Florida.
The Sunshine Certificate for Florida Attorneys offers 14.5 CLEs, including 5 ethics.
The Journalist and Citizen’s Certificate is available to every citizen and journalist seeking to learn the ins and outs of Florida’s Sunshine Laws.
- The Sunshine Certificate for Public Officials is available for only $84.95 per person.
- The Sunshine Certificate for Florida Attorneys is available for only $149.95 per person.
- The Sunshine Certificate for Journalists and Citizens is available for $29.95 per course, or $75 for all three courses. [Note: The only way to earn the certificate is to enroll in the Sunshine Certificate for Public Officials program. Those who enroll in each course individually will not have access to the certificate of proficiency.]
- Please Note: Group pricing is available. If you would like to purchase a block of seats for your office or organization, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Questions? Email email@example.com.
HOW CERTIFICATES WORK:
- Each assessment contains about 15-20 multiple-choice and true-false questions
- You must score at least 70 percent to pass each assessment
- You’ll have 30 minutes to complete each assessment
- When you pass all the assessments, you will receive your certificate