SunSentinel by Rafael Olmeda
March 8, 2018
A judge will review the security video from outside last month’s shooting at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School before ruling if the footage should be released for public viewing.
Broward Circuit Judge Jeffrey Levenson heard from lawyers from the Sheriff’s Office, the school board and a host of media organizations that include the South Florida Sun Sentinel, Miami Herald, and CNN for more than two hours Thursday.
The video does not show anyone firing a weapon or getting hurt — 17 people were killed and another 17 injured in the shooting. Former student Nikolas Cruz has been indicted on charges of murder and attempted murder.
Levenson heard Thursday from an assistant principal at the high school, who testified that teachers don’t think enough police are on campus now that they and their students are back in class.
Max Rosario said on the stand Thursday that Levenson should not release the security camera footage because, even though it would shed light on the actions of School Resource Officer Scot Peterson during the shooting, it would also expose the limitations of the school’s security camera system.
“My concern is that it’s going to expose our blind spots,” Rosario said. “Any individuals would be able to come on campus knowing where they could go without being recorded.”
Media organizations filed a lawsuit for access to the video last month, citing “extreme public interest” in the conduct of law enforcement officers during and after the shooting. [READ MORE]