- March 12-18, 2017: Sunshine Week
- March 14, 2017: First Amendment Foundation Sunshine Luncheon
What: Annual First Amendment Foundation Sunshine Luncheon & Awards Ceremony featuring Keynote Speaker Jeff Klinkenberg
Where: Governor’s Club, 202 S Adams St, Tallahassee, Florida 32301
Tickets, Tables & Sponsorships: Tickets and tables for this event are SOLD OUT. For sponsorship opportunities, please contact Rachel Gelbmann at (850) 224-4555, or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- March 21, 2017: Fake News vs. Real News – And How to Tell the Difference
What: Sometimes the stories are made up, like “Pope Francis endorses Donald Trump.” Sometimes they’re politicians’ spin, like dueling claims of lawmakers in Tallahassee and Gov. Rick Scott over money for economic development. And sometimes, they’re flat-out lies. As more and more of us expand our news sources – going beyond newspapers and television to websites, Facebook and Twitter — we’re running into more and more stories that raise questions. Fake News? Real news? Something in between? And how do you tell the difference? Join the First Amendment Foundation and the League of Women Voters of Orange County for an evening with professionals — a reporter from PolitiFact, which won a Pulitzer Prize for its fact-checking, and a newspaper and a television editor — who’ll talk about what you can do to identify where a story comes from, and what’s behind it.
Where: Woman’s Club of Winter Park, 419 South Interlachen Ave. Winter Park, FL 32789
Tickets & Sponsorships: To purchase tickets please visit the event page here. For sponsorship opportunities, please contact Rachel Gelbmann at (850) 224-4555, or email@example.com.
- August 10 – 11, 2017 – Naples, Florida: Florida Press Association/Florida Society of Newspaper Editors Annual Convention
Sunshine Seminars: The First Amendment Foundation holds a series of Sunshine Seminars around the state, inviting the participation of government officials, journalists, and members of the general public. In addition, the Foundation will provide individual seminars on request, with tailor-made presentations to meet the needs of the participants.
Dates and Locations: (click on location to register for seminar)
- September 14 – 16, 2016: Florida Press Association/Florida Society of Newspaper Editors/Southern Newspaper Publishers Association Annual Convention – Sarasota, Florida
- September 26, 2016: Florida Housing Sunshine Law Training – Tallahassee, Florida
- October 7 – 8: 2016 FOI Summit – Washington DCThe National Freedom of Information Coalition (NFOIC) and the D.C. Open Government Coalition (DCOGC) will convene the summit on Friday and Saturday, October 7-8, 2016 at the Dupont Circle Hotel in Washington, D.C.Each year, the FOI Summit features the exchange of ideas, experiences and discussions about the latest issues and trends around freedom of information laws, policies and practices at the state and local levels across the U.S. The summit delivers two days of panel discussions, presentations, and group interaction featuring experts, advocates and champions of transparency and open government.Included in the summit is the keynote luncheon highlighted by the 2016 induction of a worthy individual into the State Open Government Hall of Fame, a tradition NFOIC launched in collaboration with the Society of Professional Journalists more than a decade ago. Florida First Amendment Foundation founder, veteran newspaper editor and FOI pioneer Pete Weitzel was last year’s hall of fame inductee.
- October 17, 2016 – Orlando, Florida: Derision 2016: A No-Holds Barred Review of American Politics, an evening with Dave Barry, Carl Hiaasen & Scott Maxwell